Step into the world of netball court transformation as we explore the St George Netball Association Design and Redevelopment Project, which clinched the runners-up award at the Sports and Play Industry Association Awards in 2021. This project, conducted in collaboration with Bayside Council, exemplifies the dedication of Court Craft to breathe new life into 15 netball courts, overcoming significant challenges to provide a pristine playing surface for the community.
Project Overview: The St George Netball Association Design and Redevelopment Project was a substantial undertaking aimed at resurrecting 15 netball courts located in Rockdale. The site had endured years of settlement and movement, resulting in severely cracked, uneven, and waterlogged courts. To address these challenges and deliver exceptional results, Court Craft employed a range of innovative methods, all while adhering to a budget. Key project highlights included:
- Concrete Kerbing: Court Craft installed a 200mm x 150mm concrete kerb around the perimeter of the courts, covering approximately 690 meters. This helped define and protect the court boundaries.
- Swale Drains and Aglines: Swale drains and perimeter aglines were supplied and installed to facilitate efficient drainage and prevent ponding on the courts.
- Asphalt Profiling and Overlays: To rectify undulations and settlement cracks, Court Craft profiled the asphalt where needed and applied asphalt overlays, effectively restoring the surface’s smoothness and uniformity.
- Road Base Application: DGB20 Road base was supplied and installed, graded, and compacted to achieve the necessary falls, ensuring proper drainage and a level playing field.
- Fencing Upgrade: The existing weldmesh fencing was removed and replaced with black PVC-coated chain wire fencing, improving both durability and aesthetics.
- Netball Post Replacement: A total of 15 pairs of netball posts were removed and replaced to meet current standards and enhance gameplay safety.
- Asphalt and Plexipave Installation: Court Craft supplied and installed asphalt and Plexipave, with precise line markings, creating a durable and visually appealing playing surface.
- Turf: Approximately 2000 square meters of turf was laid to enhance the surrounding greenery and add to the overall ambiance of the netball facility.
Conclusion: The St George Netball Association Design and Redevelopment Project, led by Court Craft in collaboration with Bayside Council, stands as a remarkable example of rejuvenating community sports infrastructure. Overcoming significant challenges, including settling grounds and severely damaged courts, Court Craft’s expertise and commitment to excellence shone through, resulting in an award-worthy transformation. The revitalized netball courts will serve as a hub for local players and enthusiasts, offering a safe, level, and visually appealing surface for netball action. Court Craft’s achievement in this project further solidifies their reputation as leaders in the field of sports facility design and construction.